Скачати 26.21 Kb.
з англійської мови
для вступників у магістратуру
(факультет іноземних мов)
І. Which part of the text do the following statements correspond to?
1. Despite many theories, the origin of Stonehenge remains unknown.
2. Stonehenge was erected approximately 2, 000 years BC.
3. The prehistoric remains designated time.
4. “The Most Ancient Order of Druids” are involved in spiritual rituals which take place on Midsummer Day.
5. Certain substances and materials have a symbolic meaning for the Druids.
1) The county of Wiltshire is most famous for the great stone monuments of Stonehenge.
2) No written records exist of the origins of these stones and they have always been surrounded by mystery.
3) Stonehenge is the best known prehistoric remains in the UK. It has stood on Salisbury plain for about 4, 000 years.
4) There have been many different theories about its original use and although modern methods of investigation have extended our knowledge, nobody is certain why it was built.
5) One theory is that it was a place where stars and planets could be observed.
6) It was discovered that the positions of some of the stones related to the movement of the sun and moon, so that the stones could be used as a calendar.
7) At one time people thought that Stonehenge was a Druid temple. The Druids were a Celtic religious group who were suppressed in Great Britain soon after the Roman Conquest.
8) The theory is kept alive today by members of a group called the “Most Ancient Order of Druids”.
9) They perform mystic rites at dawn on Midsummer Day (24th June).
10) Every year they meet at Stonehenge to greet the first midsummer sunlight as it falls on the stones and they lay out symbolic elements of fire, water, bread, salt and a rose.
ІІ. Find the correct endings of the following sentences.
10. Mother asked whether her son …
ІІІ. Fill in the gaps with appropriate grammatical forms.
11. I’m angry because you didn’t tell me the truth. I don’t like…
2) to deceive
3) being deceived
4) having deceived
12. Sam made me … him next week.
1) promise to call
2) to promise calling
3) to promise to call
4) promise calling
3) promising to call
13. If he … hard, he would have achieved great progress.
1) has worked
2) would work
4) was working
5) had worked
14. Cecilia never seems to get tired. I wish I … her energy.
2) would have
3) have had
5) had had
15. The phone rang, so I … it up and … hello.
1) picked… had said
2) picked… said
3) was picking…said
4) was picking … had said
5) have picked …said
ІV. Choose the proper variant of translation.
16. Шкода, що ти не запитав його, як туди дістатись.
1) I wish you asked him how to get there.
2) I wish you had asked him how to get there.
3) I wish you have asked him how to get there.
4) I wish you didn’t ask him how to get there.
5) I wish you hadn’t asked him how to get there.
17. Якби ти прийняв ліки вчора, тобі було б зараз краще.
1) If you took your medicine yesterday, you would be better now.
2) If you would take the medicine yesterday, you would be better now.
3) If you had taken the medicine yesterday, you would be better now.
4) If you had taken the medicine yesterday, you would have been better now.
5) If you would have taken the medicine yesterday, you would be better now.
18. Ми живемо в цьому будинку з 1978 року.
1) We live in this house from 1978.
2) We live in this house since 1978.
3) We lived in this house since 1978.
4) We have lived in this house since 1978.
5) We are living in this house from 1978.
19. План обговорюється вже протягом двох годин.
1) The plan has been discussed for two hours.
2) The plan is discussed for two hours.
3) The plan is being discussed for two hours.
4) The plan is discussed during two hours.
5) The plan is discussing for two hours.
20. Новий стадіон збудують до 2012 року.
1) A new stadium will be built until 2012.
2) A new stadium will have been built until 2012.
3) A new stadium will have been built by 2012.
4) A new stadium will be build by 2012.
5) A new stadium will be building till 2012.
V. Fill in the gaps with appropriate lexical units.
21. It was very … of you to ask for a pay-rise.
22. He was late so I decided to …time by window-shopping.
23. Helen offered to give me the … for the delicious pizza.
24. The shopping centre is easily … from the motorway.
25. I’d like to … a table for five for Saturday evening, please.